Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Say Hey Hey Willie


I got a great deal on an excellent card in a Sportlots auction. Not sure if it is a true White Whale or not. It is a vintage card of a Super Star of the game. I am a little surprised I didn't have to fight tooth and nail for it. It is that classic 1959 Topps Baseball design, based on the 1958 Topps Football. When I first started looking back to vintage cards before my time I discovered the Baseball version first I think. Well whichever I found first I like the overall design. I don't remember how old I was when I first saw the design but I think I was kind of young and it may have taken me a year or two to realize that they are in fact the same design. OK so the football is oval and the baseball is a circle so what?

Of course it isn't in the greatest of shapes but it is good 'nuff for my collection. So the financial damages were $15.50 plus $3.95 shipping. Not bad. The low starting bid of $15 was what drew me to the auction. I think I put $25 as my max bid, maybe just $20 due to lower condition. For some cards I don't mind well rounded super soft corners.


1959 Topps Baseball: 50 Willie Mays Giants


3 comments:

  1. Great card and for Willie you can live with a few soft corners. Nice pickup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50's Willie for less than a price of a blaster? That's a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card! Definitely one that I'd like to own someday. I don't know what the going rate for it is, but that price doesn't seem like too much for someone of his caliber.

    ReplyDelete