Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Batting Around: Questions

QUESTIONS

A semi-recent Bat-A-Round got me to thinking about a few things. I decided not to participate in that particular Bat Around at this time maybe later, but it got me to thinking. At first I was going to ask others Why they participate in these blogiverse Bat Arounds? Then I thought about When do they participate? Well then I decided to cancel that idea since the answer(s) is(are) obvious. The reason "why" is they like the subject or idea of that particular BBA. As to the "when" it is at the time they decide to do one. Some people bloggers seem to participate in all the BAs, others only on the rare occasion. I'm somewhere in between. It depends on the subject for me, the level of difficulty, and quite frankly if I feel like making the effort to come up with a slightly entertaining response. Sometimes if the BA is just a sort of question then instead of participating by making my own post I will just make a comment of my views or thoughts on the idea on whichever BA post I saw from that question/round. Some bloggers intentionally start a Bat-Around, while others just make a post that inspires someone else to blog about the same subject or idea. Then a third person will make their own take on the idea and you have a Bat Around. So my original stupid questions I managed to answer just now.

I have another question or two about Bat-A-Rounds.

... and just because he says "I've Got Some Questions" Howie Mandel - Do The Watusi
Screen capture from end of "Do The Watusi" video by Howie Mandel

Anyone know who made the post that became the first Bat Around?

Which blogger coined the term Bat Around? - Had to be a baseball fan, as are most card bloggers especially from when it first appeared. If a football (American Football NFL) fan had coined it the title would be something like Ball Return, or the End Around, Basketball would be Rebound Around, Pass Around? (Good for almost any sport), Hockey Skate Around?

Who made the graphic that has become the BBA logo?

Has anyone thought about keeping track of the Bat Arounds and making a Bat Around Blog? - I think if one is started, it should be sort of an all hands style like "A Pack to be Named Later" so it would live beyond the person who starts it up. I don't blog often enough and have 3 blogs to begin with so I'm not volunteering to tackle that monumental task.

Life is just filled with little mysteries ain't it?

I probably should show a card shouldn't I?


1992 Upper Deck Baseball: 250 Billy Ripken Orioles

10 comments:

  1. Interesting. For me, well, like most bloggers I'd guess, participating is just a factor of time & interest. I've gone in on just a couple. My favorite was the 'Autograph Lineup' BBA from last year. That was a natural and easy one for me since I have a limited amount of signed cards and they tend to be just of players I like. So it was easy to dig them up and fun to look at them again. OTOH, the recent 'Who comes to mind first for each franchise?' wasn't one I could relate to. Honestly, there are some franchises who I'd be hard pressed to have any name pop into my head (Marlins, Rays, Dbacks). Or it would be a name nobody cared about... like Jose Arcia for the Padres. Or Bobby Allison with the Twins. And with some teams there could only be one answer...i.e. if someone says 'Braves' and you don't answer 'Aaron', you're fibbing. LOL

    So that's a long way around to say..I do a few BBAs that seem fun/easy. I'm reminded that I have one of two in my drafts folder that will never get posted. They are unfinished and years overdue and I may as well delete them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that participating in them also means that you don't have to think of your own idea for a blog posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took the words right off of my keyboard. I'll participate in as many as I can... as long as it applies to me and the way I collect. I enjoy it for the reason Angus stated, but it's also to show my support for other card blogs.

      Delete
    2. Angus, So True.

      UH-OH now we need to start a "GoFundMe" for a new keyboard for Fuji. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Blog Bat Around started in 2008 by the now defunct Sportscards Uncensored.

    Since that blog is defunct I don't know that there are links to everyone's posts from the first two anymore. But here are links to my BBA #1
    https://thoughtsandsox.blogspot.com/2008/11/blog-bat-around.html
    and #2 posts:
    https://thoughtsandsox.blogspot.com/2008/12/blog-bat-around-round-2.html

    You can find #3 with links here https://fielderschoice.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/results-from-the-blog-bat-around/

    #4 was hosted by the defunct Dinged Corners.

    #5 WAS HOSTED BY THE GUY WHO YELLS NOW https://cardjunk.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-bat-around-5.html

    #6 was Gellman at Sportscards Uncensored again. (question was why do you blog)

    After that it gets fuzzy it's been 10 years.


    The logo you know now showed up in BBA #5 but I am not sure who made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam,
      Thank you. That helps curb my curiosity on the unsung history of this incredible concept.

      Delete
    2. bbcardz is right Gellman is still posting. His blog lost all of it's content from 2008 though. Don't know if that means 2009 falls into the ether next year.

      Here is #6

      http://www.sportscardsuncensored.com/the-sixth-blog-bat-around/

      Delete
    3. Does Google Blogger automatically archive content after so much time? (I am approaching my 10-year anniversary, and would hate to have them decide to delete stuff.)

      Delete
  4. fwiw, Sports Cards Uncensored is still posting, just not nearly as much as he used to. Just today (2/26) he put out his third post of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't participated in a bat around but have wanted to do so. Mostly it was a time factor. When I finally had time to pull cards together, scan and write up a post, the bat around had moved on to a new subject.

    ReplyDelete