Monday, February 28, 2022

Strive For '65: Set The Wayback Machine To Last May/June

STRIVE FOR '65 STATUS:
28 Feb 2022
Strive for '65 | 1965 Set Build | Master Want List
Current card count: 304/598 (306/600) 50.8% (51%)

For those of you wondering YES I am STILL BUILDING THIS DANG SET. I don't have the luxury of being a huge fandom blog where you mention you are building a vintage set and within a few months or maybe even weeks BAM It's Complete. 

Here is the link to my last update from May of 2021. For this posting I got 5 cards from Sportlots, one was apparently an unaware duplicate. Upon seeing the original scan it seems to be a downgrade. Oops silly me. I am also breaking my tradition slightly by not posting on a Saturday. Anyway lets get on with this post:



Thursday 27 May 2021:
295 Dick Radatz Red Sox

Friday 28 May 2021:
131 Johnny Keane Yankees


Tuesday 01 Jun 2021:
103 Harvey Kuenn Giants

119 John Kennedy Dodgers

147 Dennis Bennett Red Sox

The Latest Additions:
Thursday 27 May 2021:
295 Dick Radatz Red Sox

Friday 28 May 2021:
131 Johnny Keene Yankees

Tuesday 01 Jun 2021:
103 Harvey Kuenn Giants
119 John Kennedy Dodgers
147 Dennis Bennett Red Sox

Here is the card that I duplicated: The first copy is on the left and the dupe on the right.

Card 295 Dick Radatz Red Sox

Both copies have some centering issues. Hmm the dupe has some schmutz on Dick's shoulder while the original has a white spot in the sky.


Now for the backs even though the dupe is better centered it has some pen markings on it and is a bit faded or dirtied. Must have been in more shoeboxes than the original.

4 comments:

  1. The Kuenn card is one of my favorites from '65. I've never heard of Keane but my initial thought was that he had to be a coach/manager cause he looks ancient lol.

    As for the Radatz pair, while the white spot in the sky is distracting that's definitely a better copy overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need Turk Farrell? I think that is my only 1965 duplicate. (Now I just have to remember where I put it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,
      Yes I have the Turk Ferrell card. A few years back (2014) on my non-card blog I did a name misspelling post and showed that card. https://klandersen.blogspot.com/2014/04/i-stand-corrected-turk-is-name.html Being named Kirk often times people have misheard my name as "Turk" over the years. I used to think "Turk" was not a real name until I discovered it was and had acquired Mr. Ferrell's card for my "Strive For '65" Set Build that I wanted to complete before my 50th Birthday back in April of 2015 for the 50th Anniversary of the set. Obviously I haven't completed it. I wasn't even close to the 50% complete that I am at now 7 years overdue of my goal.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous set. My favorite from the 60's. I'd don't have the cash flow or the patience to build this set, but if I ever win the lottery... this set is going to be one of the first things I buy.

    ReplyDelete