Friday, October 30, 2009

A White Whale From One Of My Fave QBs

SONNY JURGENSEN NFL Hall of Fame


One of my favorite QuarterBacks growing up was Sonny Jurgensen. He began his career with the Philadelphia Eagles but is best known for my Homie Team The Washington Redskins. Recently from Ebay I got one of the "white whales" I had been looking for quite a while.

For those who are unfamiliar with the term "White Whale" in the trading card hobby it basically is a card that you have been hunting for your personal collection (PC) that has been pretty difficult to acquire. Often a white whale will elude you for some time, often teasing you by showing up just out of reach. It is a reference to Moby Dick the white whale in the classic book of the same name by HERMAN MELVILLE. Moby was the nemesis to the main character Capt. Ahab.

Well this card, and many cards now-a-days thanks to the internet, is not so much a "White Whale" anymore. The card is the 1958 Topps Rookie Card (RC) of Sonny Jurgensen.


It fast became one of my favorite Sonny J. cards. Another of my fave Sonny J. cards is:

1971 Topps Game Card Insert

And also the companion to the Game Card is the Pin-Up.

1971 Topps Pin-Up.

1 comment:

  1. I've collected the entire run of "Bone", the comic book series, and in reading that series, there was a dream sequence in which all the characters from the comic replaced the characters in Melville's classic, I actually took a short break to read Moby Dick, and have a tattoo on my right upper arm inspired by one of the classic comic covers during this sequence!

    ReplyDelete